We’ve all been there: you have to stay up late to finish a work assignment, tend to your children, or to study for an exam. However, dermatologists believe turning all nighters into a frequent routine not only impacts your mood, memory sharpness, weight, and great health, but it takes an unfortunate toll on your skin as well. You see, when you don’t get enough rest, your body releases a stress hormone called cortisol which breaks down collagen, the protein used to keep your skin looking smooth and supple. It also hinders the production of human growth hormone, which plays a pivotal role in healing tissues and cells throughout your body, including your skin.
And the connection between sleep deprivation and increased signs of aging isn’t merely an old wive’s tale used to scare people into sweet slumber. It’s based on actual quality research conducted by the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index. There’s a reason they call it “beauty sleep.”
Here are 10 negative effects that not catching enough sleep has on your skin:
- Dull skin that lacks a natural glow.
- Puffy dark circles under your eyes.
- A pale, sallow complexion.
- Fine lines.
- It becomes harder to recover from prolonged sun exposure.
- The skin’s ability to renew and repair itself overnight is weakened.
- Reduced elasticity.
- Uneven, blotchy pigmentation.
- Progressive loss of water from your skin attributes to its thin, papery texture.
- Rashes, eczema, and breakouts (in more extreme cases).
Visit Our Office in Fort Lee, NJ
Contact our office to schedule a consultation with Dr. Goulko to learn more about our skin care services. We are located right outside Manhattan in Fort Lee, NJ! Call our office 201-461-5655 or request an appointment online to get started today.
Serving New York and New Jersey metropolitan area, including: Fort Lee, Cliffside Park, Edgewater, Palisades Park, Fairview, Englewood, Englewood Cliffs, Alpine, Creskill, Dumont, Hackensack, North Bergen, West New York, Jersey City, Hoboken, New York City